Pages

[on the table] Shaved Brussels Salad with Cranberries, Pecans and Feta

Are you vegetable people? Yes? Great! How do you feel about Brussels?


I'll be honest, the first time I had them they were unimpressive. Mushy. Bleh.

[Full disclosure: they were the frozen-microwave-in-the-bag variety. I can't in good conscience blame the Brussels for that one!]

These days we eat them roasted, raw, and pan sauteed then steamed. They become vibrant green in the saute pan, crispy in the oven, crunchy when raw. I. Love. Brussels.

It's the truth!


So when the recent Cooking Light showed up at my house and I saw the Brussels side salad recipe inside I just had to try it with modifications based on what I had in my kitchen.

Here's how to put it together!

For the salad:
1/2 lb raw Brussels, very thinly sliced or shredded in a food processor
1/4 cup dried cranberries (diced apples would be good too), optional
1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans (walnut pieces or maybe almonds would also work)
2 Tbsp crumbled feta cheese (blue cheese or goat cheese anyone?)
1/4 cup crispy crumbled bacon, optional

For the dressing:
2 Tbsp minced shallots
1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (use chicken or vegetable broth for a lower fat version)
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp balsamic vinegar (use apple cider vinegar for a lower sugar version)
1 garlic clove, minced (you could roast this first! yum!)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp sea salt

Combine the dressing ingredients in a small jar with a lid and shake it all about. You do the hokey pokey and... Wait. I got distracted. Back to the salad!

The salad can be put together as is and served at room temperature. Delish! Or maybe even better you can mix the Brussels, cranberries and toasted pecans in a dry saute pan to heat it through, then add the feta and the mixed dressing and serve hot. Crazy delish! 


You really won't regret trying this!

ce
 


No comments:

Post a Comment