Pages

Personal Project: Table Top Easel


 I've been dreaming lately about painting more. I enjoyed the bit of painting I did at Christmas time and I really enjoyed the sharpie art I did for my phone case, but the only painting easel I have is a rickety floor model.

[And it is WAY too cold to be painting in the garage right now.]

So I did a little research on table top versions thinking I would pick one up at Hobby Lobby or something. I didn't find one online that I liked very well but after looking at all the pictures it occurred to me I could perhaps make one fairly easily myself.

I discussed the project with my Dad and he told me about a millwork place near here that puts out their scraps for people to take home, free. All hardwood, varying lengths and widths. So the little brother took me over there in his pickup and we found a few pieces that could be just the thing. I stole the canvas ledge from the rickety floor easel and after a little saw work, pre-drilling and screws I very nearly had my table top easel. One last cut over at little brother's and she was complete!

I was so excited that after the kids were in bed I started on a brand new painting.

[Full disclosure: I often find paintings or photos I like and try to recreate them. They don't always spring from my own brain, which is the case here. I'm not selling it, don't judge me.]


I'm so very pleased with how it turned out! I'm really looking forward to carving out more time to paint, I find it very relaxing, I suppose because I know the pieces are just for me. I see bowls of cherries and beached boats in my future, haha!

ce

2 comments:

  1. It is lovely! What a great idea to build the table top easel. I am looking forward to see what flows next...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You are truly exploring your creativity. Amazing work. And you made the easel.... I bet dad and grampa chuck are proud of your woodworking skill. I know I am.

    ReplyDelete