Pages

Inspired by: e.e. cummings

e.e. cummings is one of my favorite poets, but just recently I learned he's an artist of a different sort as well. Turns out, he viewed himself as much a painter as a poet and actually spent more time painting than writing. I've barely scratched the surface of his work but I did find a painting that I find inspiring I'd like to share today. 




This piece is tempera on cardboard.The use of off-beat materials is one key reason why this piece inspires me. It speaks to how creative expression is possible anywhere, you don't have to have the 'right' materials to convey what's spinning around in your brain. 

I also appreciate her hairstyle. The short curly 'do brings me back to my 8th grade school photo. The subject would need to be rockin' a large pair of spectacles to really capture 8th grade me, but the hair is spot on. Ha! I love the liberal use of color, the unexpected green that represents the shadow along her side, the orange around her breast. It's bright and splashy, and sophisticated.

This piece makes me want to use chalk to create a masterpiece on my driveway [once it isn't so cold!]. I want to use my fingertips instead of brushes and wear paint splattered ripped up jeans with bare feet [because what you wear while you create matters...at least in the daydream version! Silly.].

What's inspiring you today?

ce

No comments:

Post a Comment