Pages

Personal Project: Tiny Wood Block Paintings


Recently I was inspired to create tiny paintings using scrap lumber left from various building projects around our place. I wasn't sure what I intended to paint, especially as I don't normally do much fine art painting, but I went to my brother's nearby with the scraps and the idea.

[He has a heated garage full of tools, so I took this opportunity to use them spend time with him. Haha! He even let me try to run the saw, though when I couldn't quite get the cuts straight he stepped in to save the project. Thanks bro!]

So armed with my blank canvases, I got to work sketching out some ideas. After choosing a few rough sketches to try, I primed the pieces and sketched the layouts onto the blocks. I broke out the paint trays, paints and brushes from college [was that really 10 years ago already!?] and got to work.

A trip to the hardware store secured tiny sawtooth picture hangers and tiny nails.


And then I tried to hammer those tiny nails into the backs of my paintings.

Hmm.

Tiny nails. Not so tiny fingers. Dilemma.

Idea! I pulled a needle nose tool from my jewelry making supplies and used it to hold the nail in place while I hammered with the other hand.


Admittedly a few times the nail slipped out of my pliers, but eventually I got the hang of it.


Once the nail was at least partially in the back I could finish it off without the pliers.

I was so excited to make these little buggers, and I've decided that with my attention span, these small, mostly quick projects are right up my alley. Quick sketch, a little paint, hanger attached and ta da! I'm suddenly a painter of fine art. Or children's art. Potato potahto. :)

ce

No comments:

Post a Comment