Pages

Around Town: Museum of Visual Materials

Settled in at the MOVM.
W desperately wanted to use glitter. DESPERATELY. Next time!
Mom got in on the action too!

Yesterday the kids and I were joined by my lovely friend A to check out the Museum of Visual Materials Kids Craft Corner. We've never been so we had no idea what to expect, and when we arrived we saw no action and thought perhaps I'd read the details wrong. A, smart thing she is, suggested I ask. Turns out it wasn't the wrong day, we were just the first ones there!

They have a nice area with a music player [great feature!], a large table and two great big cabinets filled with all kinds of goodies to experiment with. Basically you show up, you craft and clean up when you're done. You can drop in anytime between 9am and 4pm Monday through Wednesday and admission is free!

The kids had a great time, and so did A and I. M worked with crayons mostly [which generally means he was eating them] while W used whatever the big kids were using, including stamps and inkpads, glue [lots and lots of glue], googley eyes, stickers, pipe cleaners and a few hearts she asked me to cut out for her. It was kind of nice that no one else was there this first time as it allowed us to really spread out. I was thinking next time I could bring materials to donate to the cause, and a person could even bring some of their own materials if you had a project in mind and still enjoy the change of scenery and additional materials and tools available that you may not have at home [or want to clean up at home, like the aforementioned glitter!].

The MOVM actually has a great Kid's Calendar including story time, day play, afterschool art activities and more. Check out the calendar here. They hold grown-up crafting classes too, check them out!

ce

1 comment:

  1. I realize I need to also check this blog as I have been missing things. I like to know where you get your inspiration and lovely, creative projects.

    ReplyDelete